THE VALLERANI SYSTEM (VS) FOR REFORESTATION IS A FAST AND NATURAL WAY TO COMBAT DESERTIFICATION AND CLIMATE CHANGE WHILE STILL RESPECTING BIODIVERSITY.
The VS uses the Delfino3s plow invented and patented by Dr. Venanzio Vallerani and manufactured by Nardi.
The plow creates a system of micro-basins and underground bags which collect rainwater, over flow and other resources available like fine soil, organic matter, seeds, etc.
The VS allows for direct seeding of native plants (possibly supplemented by transplantation of nursery species) whose germination and growth is possible thanks to the water collected into the micro-basins.
The plows working with the VS help by:
- the substantial cracking and buffeting of the soil, due to the speed of the tractor and the construction particularities of the plows, allow the compact soil to be broken up, thereby facilitating the absorption of water and the entry of roots.
- increase speed of production: between 4 to 8 km / h which corresponds to a working surface of 1.5 / 3 he per hour (variable depending on the type of soil, processing, rainfall etc.).
- acheiving total collection and rapid seepage of rain water falling into the micro basins with consequent substantial reduction of evaporation, subsequent recovery of the water table and reduction of the erosion of the soil.
- increased collection of the rain water that falls between the ploughed lines, of the seeds and straw transported by the wind, with continuous improvement of the fertility and of crop production.
- creating 2 to 4 times more water available for crops, pastures, and plants (water table).
- enhancing the maintenance and growth of plant and animal biodiversity, which is strongly promoted by improving agronomic conditions in the soil.
- reuse of hard, compact soil, previously abandoned because it was impossible to work manually.
- lowering cost: 80 to 130 Euros/hectar, depending on: the size of the intervention, the characteristics of the soil, the distance between the working lines, the cost of labor, days of work and other auxiliary components.
- lowering environmental impact as only 10-20% of the land is worked.
Want to know more? Download our slide summary, a document that briefly explains the Vallerani System. Available in both English and French